Sunday, June 18, 2006

A fairly uneventful weekend, which is just fine with me. Started a new story tonight and am about to continue revising my YA novel. It's going to be a long process, but so far, so good.

***************************

Cindy and I watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last night, which was not very good. Visually it wasn't bad, but the storytelling was lousy. Not recommended.

****************************

I've known about it for awhile, but I just started cataloging a few books on LibraryThing, stuff I've read lately or am currently reading. Cindy took one look at my catalog and gave me her best "You've GOT to be kidding" look. She thinks I'm the biggest geek on the planet. She might have something there...

Today's Short Story = "Tales from the City of Seams" - Greg van Eekhout from TYBFAH 18

2 comments:

John said...

No, not the biggest geek on the planet. Just think of all those readers with all 11 Robert Jordan books, and his prequel and the "World of the Wheel of Time" book on their list. Ha! Ha! (Oh wait, that's me...)

Not to reopen a wound for you, but where did you think the Goblet of Fire went off the rails? Lera and I really liked it, but that may have been more a reaction to how bad the previous one was. And I have no objectivity when it comes to these books anyway (though I must admit that the last two have become awfully, shall we say, Jordanesque.)

Andy Wolverton said...

I thought the storytelling aspect of it was too disjointed and didn't have much flow. That might just be me, or maybe the film tried to do too much. (The book was pretty big, after all.) Too many scenes seemed to barely touch on some of the more important aspects of the story (such as the contest itself) while too much time was given to what I'd call subplots (Hagrid & the giant woman, for instance). Maybe the filmmakers assume that most people seeing the film will have already read the book. I did read the book, but still thought there was too much clutter (of story) onscreen. The visuals, though, I thought were quite good.