Friday, June 02, 2006

Wheels

I hate to even contemplate it, but it's getting close to that time again...

My Saturn will turn 10 in about six months, so I really should start looking for something new. It's still hanging in there, but for the past year, I've had several substantial ($500+) repairs that have hammered into the ever-shrinking Wolverton Retirement and Island Cruise Fund. And I think the AC is starting to go. Worse than that, the CD player's on the fritz.

I really hate to think about getting a new car/vehicle/whatever. In nearly 30 years of driving, I've only had four cars:

1977 Mercury Monarch - 8 years
1985 Subaru (Can't remember the model...That tells you something) - 4 years
1988 Toyota Celica - 11 years
1997 Saturn SL-1 - 6 years

When Cindy and I married she had an old, barely running Dodge Colt that broke down just about every week. The car was disaffectionately referred to by me as The Clot. One day while we were driving to Fort Worth, The Clot breathed its last just as we were pulling onto the highway. That was far from the first straw, but it was certainly the last. "I'm getting you a new car tomorrow," I told Cindy and that's just what I did. I think she's been eagerly waiting to return the favor, so I should have something in mind before the Saturn decides to shut down.

I'm not picky...at least not too picky. I don't really need an SUV or a truck. I'd like to stick with a four-door, something Bullet can ride in. I need good mileage. (Don't we all?) I've been getting 32 MPG on the highway. I'd love to keep it around there. Just give me a good AC, a CD player, XM Radio, and I'm set. (I know, I don't ask for much.) All recommendations will be considered.

************************

On a sadder note, another used book store is being sold. Deja Vu Books in Bowie, MD, one of my favorite stores, is for sale. Hopefully the new owner will keep it a bookstore - this area has already lost a couple of nice ones lately.

2 comments:

John said...

My 8-year-old Honda Civic rolled over 100,000 miles on the way back from your house a couple of weeks ago. Except for the '86 Ford LTD I drove in college, I've only ever driven Hondas. No complaints of any kind; they all ran great forever (except the ones that smashed into other cars).

Andy Wolverton said...

The last two times I've test-driven Hondas, I didn't care for the ride, but that's been a few years. I should test-drive one again.