Monday, June 12, 2006

I've been really frustrated with my writing the past few days, but reading Glen Hirshberg's blog this weekend really brought the problem into focus. It's about the work, nothing else and I hadn't been focusing on that. I did this weekend and it's really made a difference. Thanks, Glen, for sharing your insights and giving me a gentle kick in the pants.

Having said that, the story I've been working on called "The Black" is really starting to come into focus. It's really hard to compare every aspect of writing to my former life of teaching music, but sometimes the similarities are unavoidable. Some of the best times I had as a teacher occurred when the kids in the band grabbed onto what I was saying and immediately understood that "Hey, I actually understand how to listen/balance/tune (or whatever) across the band. Now I understand what to do." Sometimes, in spite of myself, it happens to me too.

Now Playing = "Tomorrow Night" – Carl Smith – XM Radio – Traditional Country
Listening to in the Car – Cold Hit – Stephen J. Cannell
Today's Short Story = Clownette – Terry Dowling from The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 18
Reading = His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik

No comments: