Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sucker

Every now and then I'll find out about a contest that I should by all rational thought processes not enter. But I usually do anyway. Here's one I saw about a week ago: ChiZine is holding a contest for a publication called ChiZine: Treatments of Light and Shade in Words. Man, just look at the panel of judges: Ellen Datlow, Neil Gaiman, Jay Lake, Brian Hodge and more. I must be crazy for entering this contest...

*******************************

Rejection today from Talebones for "Results May Vary." Sometimes once a story has been bounced around a few times, it's time to let it breathe its last. But I still believe in this one. On to the next place.

*******************************

Found this bit of writing advice from Mary Doria Russell on Marjorie M. Liu's blog.

2 comments:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Ack. I didn't have time for this, Andy, but I've been meaning to send something to ChiZine for a long time and suddenly in the last three hours I had to cobble together a dark science fiction short story (4000 words in 19 pages) and send it off electronically.

This is known in the business as "cat vacuuming" as I am supposed to be grading quizzes -- which everyone knows is much more boring work than causing interstellar mayhem. (grin)

Thanks a bunch. (double-grin)

Dr. Phil

Andy Wolverton said...

Glad to help, Dr. Phil. I ended up not sending anything. I had a 6,000 word story that I was trying to trim down (Maybe "slice down" is the more accurate term.), but I just couldn't make it work. Good luck with yours!